Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Van Gogh's Asylum Hospital in St-Remy-de-Provence

This is an outside view of the walled-Saint Paul de Mausole, an asylum in St-Remy de Provence where Vincent van Gogh voluntary asked for help for his illness (May 1889). I was there in 09 October 2005 and just like other tourists with their cameras, I took some pictures of the surrounding areas of St-Remy including the asylum. Then, I was not yet into painting as a hobby, so many of the photographs I took were not really professionally taken. I based the above painting from one of those photographs. I still have to do some small finishing touches with this piece.
During our visit to St-Remy, we followed the route where Vincent had painted some of his master pieces. Then we ended our tour to the hospital where we visited the museum inside the compound.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cora,
    Your painting of Van Gogh's asylum in St.Remy is so nicely painted. The way you have handled the brick texture of the wall is very good.
    I especially like the rose painting from December- the shadows are very well painted - very dimensional. Roses are not easy to paint and your colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barbara for your nice comment. Getting comments from a professional like you made me feel good and it increases my enthusiasm to continue my journey in painting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome.